(via Pukeko Tearooms)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whitebait
- 25 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a small bowl whisk the egg until frothy.
- Fold in the flour and salt.
- Add whitebait and stir to just combine.
- Heat butter and oil in a fry pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of whitebait into hot butter.
- When golden brown turn to cook second side.
- Thaw frozen whitebait in milk to give a good flavour.
- A touch of ground ginger for frozen bait adds flavour.
Tips for taste
Mint sauce, vinegar, lemon juice.